Knihovna města Olomouce
ČeskyDeutschEnglish

KNIHOVNA MĚSTA
OLOMOUCE

nám. Republiky 1, 771 66 Olomouc
Tel.: (+420) 585 545 111 IČ: 00096733
E-mail: knihovna@kmol.cz
Identifikátor datové schránky: tj2kkz2

KNIHOVNA MĚSTA OLOMOUCE

Nacházíte se > KMOL.cz > English > History

History

Since its establishment on 1 December 1889, the public library in Olomouc has been an important part of the city's cultural life. It was located in the clubroom of Česká beseda (Czech Discussion Club) in the National House, which was the centre of Czech social and community life. Its opening was a result of fights between the German majority and the Czech minority in Olomouc.


    In 1920, the Library became a public municipal library under President Masaryk's Public Library Act (of 1919), and it moved to the Salm Palace in the Horní Náměstí Square (Upper Square).
  Antonín Šprinc, then-manager of the Library, advocated the idea of as broad accessibility of library services as possible. As the result, branches of the Library were opened in individual districts of the City.


    In 1949, the municipal library moved to the building of the former Regional Office located in the Náměstí Republiky Square. In 1952, one of the first music sections in Czech people's libraries was established here.


     Between 1953 and 1960, at the time of existence of the Olomouc Region, the Library operated under the name Regional Library, and between 1960 and 2002 as the Olomouc District Library.


Besides Professor Šprinc, there are also other important personalities whose lives were closely connected to the Library - Klement Králík, Professor Otakar Janovský, František Hrbáček, Jaroslav Michal, PhDr. Jaromír Stříž, and others.     


    In 1993, a computer network with library software was implemented in the Library. A retrospective cataloging of the stocks began and individual operations were gradually automated.
Since 2000, the Library has been providing information under an agreement entered into with the City of Olomouc under Act No. 106/1999 on free access to information.


    Since May 2001, the Library has been operating an Internet Centre focusing on the integration of minority citizen groups. The funds for the establishment of the Centre were received from a grant under the PHARE European Funds the state budget. For all citizens of the region, the Computer Centre primarily represents a truly public access to the Internet.     


     Since 2003, the promoter of the Library has been the City of Olomouc and the name of the Library has been the Library of the City of Olomouc. It comprises 16 libraries located throughout the City and it has about 300,000 library items and 12,000 readers, who borrow over half a million books, newspapers, magazines, musical media, gramophone records or CDs every year.    

© Copyright 2009 - 2016 Knihovna města Olomouce | Tel.: (+420) 585 545 111 email: knihovna@kmol.cz
Mapa webu | RSS | Prohlášení o přístupnosti